Tuesday 31 December 2013

As one year ends...

...another year is dawning. I'd like to write a positive and glowing review of 2013 but right now my mood is bleak. There have been a lot of high points over the year and just a few lows however right now I think it would be difficult to muster a fair appraisal of the year.

New year fills me with melancholy. With no distraction away from it planned it becomes all consuming. I hate new year and all the fuss and hype around it. I feel sad. Very sad. My reasons are many but I'm not in the frame of mind to explore them. Tomorrow is a new day so I think an early night is in order.

Goodnight and, I sincerely hope your farewell to 2013 is much less difficult than mine.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mark,

    Hi!! I understand how you might not feel like actually *celebrating* this New Year's Eve, i.e., neither, frankly, do I. Here in Pennsylvania, my dear husband has a stomach virus; and my Dad----(87, and 1,800 miles away)----was transported to the E.R. in the very early-morning hours of Christmas Day; then hospitalized with a Kidney Infection; and today (Tuesday) my Dad was diagnosed in the Hospital with pneumonia. (That's only the tip of the iceberg............ but I know that you "have been there" ~ and/or ~ maybe even currently "are there," i.e., in similar, and worse, situations yourself.)


    Although I don't often comment, I always-always-always-always-ALWAYS read your (very well-written) posts, Mark!! I'm a retired R.N., so I feel as if I can rather accurately "assess" folks, you know; and you are *such* a good, kind, and caring person............ i.e., just a "true gem," when this world d.e.s.p.e.r.a.t.e.l.y. needs more good people like you. (Your dear Steve----who so reminded me of the absolutely-*fabulous*/super-talented/very-beloved late musical composer Marvin Hamlisch----was also one of those "true gems," too).


    In any event, I have this little quotation for you, which I think somehow describes you just *perfectly*, Mark!!:

    “The most beautiful people
    we have known are those who have
    known defeat, known suffering, known
    struggle, known loss, and have found
    their way out of the depths. These persons
    have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an
    understanding of life that fills them
    with compassion, gentleness, and a
    deep loving concern. Beautiful
    people do not just happen.”

    ---Elisabeth Kubler-Ross


    Anyway, we'll all try to "just pick ourselves up............ dust ourselves off............ and start-all-over again"............ in 2014!!


    Warmly,
    Rosanna

    ReplyDelete